Monday, November 8, 2010

New York Marathon Winner!

Congratulations go out to Ethiopia and their own Gebre Gebremariam, who was the winner of the NYC Marathon, finishing first with an astounding time of 2:08:14.   Gebremariam, 26, is the first man to win with a marathon debut since 1980, meaning: most people who win the marathon do it a few times before taking home the gold.

The prize for winning the marathon is $130,000 and a title coveted by over 45,000 people. The New York Post quoted him to say, "New York is New York. It is so special for me, even though I just finished only, I'm so, so happy to be here to win it.  Nobody expected me to win, but even for me, for myself I cannot digest it to say to myself (that I won). But New York is special. The finish is good for me. I come from 10k, 5k, cross country, I win all of those…I come back here 100% to win next year."

Again, Congratulations Gebre!

Sara Grossman- @stanacardsara